Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 22 - Running Away


When I was a little girl I was not very fun to play games with.  I was one of those children who, if I started loosing or finding the game hard, would stomp and pout and say ‘I don’t want to play anymore.’  The thing is, I’m not sure that I’m much different now I’m all grown up.  As I read about the judges and kings, prophets and priests of Israel in the Old Testament I’m aware of my own weaknesses as a leader and friend and how often, when I hit a troubled spot, I want to say ‘I’m not going to play anymore.’

King Solomon wasn’t like this.  He was successful, popular and chosen.  But when he was aware of his weaknesses he didn’t want to quit, instead he used it as an opportunity to press into God.  In 1 Kings 3 Solomon tells God –

“ ‘Now, O Lord my God, you have made me king instead of my father, David, but I am like a little child who doesn’t know his way around. And here I am in the midst of your own chosen people, a nation so great and numerous they cannot be counted! Give me an understanding heart so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great people of yours?’ ”
-1 Kings 3 v 7 – 9

When I’m not doing well at something, when it isn’t going perfectly, I see it as a situation to run from.  But Solomon saw it as a situation which was calling him on.  A chance for him to become a richer, deeper and wiser leader.

I have so much to learn!  And so much to ask God for.  God told Solomon to ask for whatever he wanted – and he asked for an understanding, or wise, heart.  God has told me I can as for whatever I want – in fact Jesus told his followers that “…if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!” (John 15 v 7).   So today I’m going to ask God to help me be a richer, deeper and wiser leader and friend.  I want today to choose to be called on and not to run away.

No comments:

Post a Comment