Tuesday, May 29, 2012

29 May - God's Lavish Home


There is something addictive to me about that home building tv programme Grand Designs.  I love it – though I have to admit I’m often appalled by the money that goes into the homes and the size of many of the dwellings – especially as they might only have two people living in them.  I got this same reaction when first reading about the building of the original temple in Israel in 1 Kings chapter 6. 
We read that "Solomon overlaid the inside of the temple with pure gold" (verse 21) – really, was that necessary?  It also says in chapter seven that "Solomon left all the utensils unweighed, because they were too many; the weight of the bronze could not be ascertained” (verse 47) – isn’t that excessive, I mean how many utensils does one God need?

And I might have remained feeling that way – that the temple was a bit of an excessive exercise when after all God really doesn’t need a house.  I even thought it might be a bit simple-minded of the great Solomon to think that God could be contained in one building.  But then I read a reflection by Patrick Roemer on this passage and he reminded me that we are God’s new house, that he has chosen to live in and amongst his people, the church.  And Patrick asked, of himself and of me, 

“…[with] this passage in mind, I question if I have created a temple worthy of God’s presence. Have I put forth the same effort and time and given the same attention to detail to my temple as Solomon did for the house he built for God?”

I realise that all that gold, all that bronze and cedar and stone that we read about in 1 Kings chapters 6-7 isn’t there because Solomon thought he could give something to God or because he thought he could contain God but because God had chosen to live among them and Solomon wanted to create something of beauty and honour for God.  It was an expression of love and devotion.   The temple was lavish, it was rich, it was full of beauty because that’s what God deserves.

So what is the temple like that I am building for God?  Is my heart lavish with love?  Is my life rich towards others?  Do I respect or abuse my body, God’s new home?   Do I put time, effort and resources into being holy for God?  Those are my thoughts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment