Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Quick Word: Being Faithful

Catch my quick word every Tuesday morning, just after six, on New Zealand's Rhema.

Ophs!  I didn't get myself together to record this week.  They've play a repeat though I don't now which one, so here's a random 'quick word' from early in the year (pre-blog)

I’m going to sound a bit like I live in a click, but bear with me, because I want to talk about something I heard on New Zealand’s Rhema.  It was at the end of last year when The Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie was released.  Peter from One 2 One was talking to some guy about C. S Lewis and the guest described him in three words – Imaginative, Rational and Faithful.  Wow, what a way to be described!  And it got me thinking, how would people describe me?  And, more importantly, how would I want them to describe me – because there’s no guarantee it would be the same thing!  I like the idea of being thought imaginative - I mean if daydreaming was a paid career I’d be there! - rational is probably not me at all but the word which stuck with me was faithful.  Oh to be described as faithful!  I want to be faithful, faithful to God, faithful to my husband and family, faithful through hard times and faithful to what I value.

But I’m no Enoch.  Enoch is most famous for the fact that he walked faithfully with God.  In Genesis 5 we read “Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.”  What a way to be known and a way to go!  No, I’m more of a Peter – in the past I’ve passionately exclaimed that I’ll stick with God, or a friend, no matter what!  But if things started to not go my way, or got a bit hard, I was out of there.  I’ve had to ask God’s forgiveness for these times of unfaithfulness and I owe apologies to past friends for my unfaithfulness as well. 

I’m lucky though.  I’m young and, God willing, have time to develop a spirit of faithfulness.  And it starts with inviting God through his Spirit to make me more like him.  Is it worth the effort?  I think so.  Galatians lists faithfulness as one of the fruits of the Spirit.  And I want it to be on the list of words that people use to describe me too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment