Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Blogging: A Quick Word

Catch my quick word every Tuesday morning on New Zealand's Rhema.


Note: I wrote this for radio a few weeks ago - just before starting this blog!



Despite, or maybe because of the fact that I worked in online media I’ve tried to keep a small online footprint.  No facebook, no twitter, no blogs.  But people suggested a blog, and I kept imagining interesting things to post on so I started this.  If you would've asked I’d have said my hesitation was because of privacy, copyright etc etc but if I was truly honest there's really just one reason I hesitated – would anyone read it? Numbers matter to me.  Talking to myself online seems just as embarrassing to me as being caught talking to myself in person.  The thing is, everyone I’ve talked to about blogging has said the same thing – it only works if your not motivated by who’s reading and what they think! 

I guess what they are trying to tell me is that what motivates us, whether we want to admit it or not, effects the outcome.  If I am motivated by my reader when I write a blog post I’ll be less true to myself, the very thing which makes blogs so interesting.  I’ll also be more persuaded to quit if I don’t see anyone actually reading it.

 It’s also gotten me thinking about how complex our motivations are.  Do I pray because I want to talk with God, or because I am scared of what he might do if I don’t?  Did they get married because of love or because of what people might say if they didn’t?  Did we put that bumper sticker on to send a positive message or to look good to other Christians in other cars?

In Colossians Paul gives advice on motivation to people with good grounds to do the right thing for the wrong reason – slaves in Christian households.  He says –

“Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything you do. Try to please them all the time, not just when they are watching you. Serve them sincerely because of your reverent fear of the Lord.  Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.”

- Colossians 3 v 22 - 24

I’m not a household slave but, like Paul says in the beginning of Romans, I am “a slave of Christ Jesus, chosen by God.” I need to remember that motivation is important because Christ can see it.  And as a Christian everything I do is really in service to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment